, , , , , , , , , ,

A Creative Book Club - "Big Magic"

4:43:00 PM

This year I joined my first Book Club! I have so enjoyed being a part of it. I can't get enough!
So...I decided that it might be fun to have a "Creative" book club. For this book club I will select a book that embraces creativity in some form. After I read it I will share it with you here on the blog along with my thoughts and observations. I encourage you to also share your thoughts in the comment section below each post. Also feel free to leave book suggestions! The theme is creativity so????


Have you heard of the book, "Big Magic, Creative Living Beyond Fear," by Elizabeth Gilbert? Yes, the same Elizabeth Gilbert who wrote the best seller, "Eat, Pray, Love."


I have to tell you, I absolutely loved this book! Gilbert writes with a very conversational tone. It is as if a dear friend is giving you advice. Sometimes she is blunt and to the point, as any good friend would be when they are telling you something you so desperately need to hear.

My favorite passage in the book is this:
"Are you considering becoming a creative person? Too late, you already are one. To even call somebody 'a creative person' is almost laughably redundant; creativity is the hallmark of our species. We have the senses for it; we have the curiosity for it; we have the opposable thumbs for it; we have the rhythm for it; we have the language and the excitement and the innate connection to divinity for it. If you're alive, you're a creative person." 

In the book Elizabeth Gilbert talks about how often people are referred to as a creative genius, but that in reality creativity is its own entity. It desires to be born. Creativity seeks out a vessel from which to give it birth. In that regard one is not a genius, but instead one is granted genius. Creativity wants to be born into existence, this is the "magic."  It is our job to open ourselves to the opportunities to create. We must open ourselves up to the magic.

Gilbert divides the book into sections which guide the reader through the process of living into one's creative potential, the "Big Magic."

  • Courage
  • Enchantment
  • Permission
  • Persistence
  • Trust
  • Divinity
Throughout the book Gilbert shares a lot of her personal journey with creativity. She shares stories of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances and how each of them either responded to, or in some cases blocked their own big magic. 
For me this book was full of necessary reminders and and gentle (or not so gentle) nudges toward my own creative path!


It is my firm belief that we are all creative beings. We need to create, it is in our nature. When we allow ourselves to live into our creative potential (however it might manifest) we live a more full and joyous life.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Join the fun!

Join the fun!
Be sure to sign up for our news letter to receive updates on classes and events happening in the studio. You will also get creative inspirations from our blog. Plus when you sign up you get access to our creativity boosting freebies!

Sign up for updates

* indicates required